Thursday 27 September 2012

Problems with R and RGtk2

I ran across this issue while installing Rattle, a data mining library for the statistical programming language R, on to a Debian system. When installing the package RGtk2, seeing the below error means that your GTK version is not the version required by RGtk2.
 * installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...  
 ** package ‘RGtk2’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked  
 checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config  
 checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes  
 checking for INTROSPECTION... no  
 checking for GTK... no  
 configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required  
 ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’  

The required version can be found in libgtk2.0-dev, so install this using your preferred package manager - for example using apt-get:
 sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev    

Then reload R and:
 install.packages('RGtk2')  

Now, after the installation has finished, you should see:
 * DONE (RGtk2)  

As usual, let me know if it works for you in the comments below.

If you like this blog, and use R for statistical processing, you can help support my writing by purchasing a book from my bookstore. For both beginning and more advanced R users, I'd recommend Kenneth Knoblauch.

9 comments:

  1. thank you, this worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks from Chile, allowed me to work well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - worked like a charm on Ubuntu (VirtualBox on Mac OS X).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mat! As a beginner with R I was puzzled by the error. Your blog post fixed it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. many thanks.. Worked for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rattle and hum... all da way thx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot...saved my afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. It worked well on Ubuntu 14.04

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you find this blog helpful or interesting! I'd love to hear from you!